Sunday, December 20, 2015

Kids' fort - Sketches and notes

Who ever knew building a fort would take several years? Well, that's how long I've been sitting on the idea. But, a few evenings out daydreaming in the backyard and a little time sketching and researching later, and I finally got the gumption to just do it!

Here are some preliminary sketches of the build site and platform. Shows my (lack of) ambition and confidence: I have put off any further planning (commitment to style of railing, trapdoor, ladder even, shelter..) to see how far I get with just the platform :)



The design is really basic:

There's the tree pictured: This live oak has got a fat trunk which splits off into 14" and a 12" diameter vertical limbs. This will hold one end of the fort platform via a 6 ft 2x12" ledger.

The platform will be made up the aforementioned ledger, three, 8 ft  2x6" joists, and another 2x12" piece at the far end.  The far end is held up by two 8 ft 4x4" vertical posts either sunk into the ground or resting atop a pair of cement pads I happen to have.  8 ft is overgenerous, because the slope of the terrain should bring that end only 5 ft off the ground, but I want to have some stubs up there to work with.

I've got a bunch of 6ft 5/8x6" deck boards to provide a very strong decking.

Once the platform is assembled, then I can see about adding access (probably a ladder), maybe a trapdoor, and definitely some form of railing.

Working in the winter time has advantages of cooler weather, longer work breaks, and no foliage with which to content.  Come Spring, we will have good covering around some parts making this structure a real hideaway for the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment