Sunday, January 26, 2020

More DIY: Dare I try repair that which doth dry?

Squeaky dryer here we come!

Once I had an issue where our gas oven wasn't lighting: panel lit up, but it wouldn't heat. I also noticed I didn't hear the fan spinning like I had recalled it usually did. I called over an appliance service man, and I suggested I had a blown fuse, but he instead replaced the really expensive main board and called the job done-- I asked that we confirm that it kicks in the heat and asked him why the fan wasn't kicking on? I asked whether we might need to replace that fuse... He looked again, replaced the fuse, and both the heat and the fan kicked in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last time I had a washer/dryer issue, I called over an appliance repair outfit (I think it was the same one, not sure -- different technician came), and my washer was diagnosed with a bad part, and I was sold a refurbished replacement washer. Maybe this was the right call, I'll never really know.

For several months, our dryer had been squeaking, and the squeak had been getting more and more pronounced. I did some reading online, ordered a reasonably priced kit which included replacement felts, adhesive to attach them, a replacement belt, the pulley, and some other parts. Whole job was pretty straightforward and simple,  but wow, the things was quite caked with ages of dust! I think we actually bought the dryer refurbished 15 years ago in our first home... So I did some lethargic clean up as well. What a good feeling to do some deep cleaning :) and save a bundle in the process! Also good to have another use for the shopvac I bought with the reflooring job just a couple weeks prior.

No comments:

Post a Comment